What bacteria and germs cause food poisoning
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, bacterias is the top cause of food poisoning in the United States.
The top five food poisoning bacterias are:
- Norovirus You can get this virus from raw fruits and vegetables. You can also get this from shellfish, such as lobster and clams, that come from tainted water Food handlers who have norovirus can also spread it as they prepare meals for customers.
- Salmonella Food poisoning can result from ingesting these bacteria can be found on raw or undercooked meats, raw eggs and dairy products, such as milk.
- Clostridium perfringens bacteria that is found in many environmental sources as well as in the intestines of humans and animals.
- Campylobacter You get can this from raw or undercooked meat, especially chicken, as well as unpasteurized milk and tainted water.
- Staphylococcus aureus It usually does not cause illness in healthy people, but Staph has the ability to make toxins that can cause food poisoning.
Top foodborne germs are:
- Listeria Common than others on this list, you can get it from packaged foods such as hot dogs and lunch meats, soft cheeses such as brie, and raw fruits and vegetables. Pregnant women need to be extra careful about Listeria since it can cause a miscarriage.
- Clostridium botulinum This food poisoning bacteria is commonly known as botulism.
- Escherichia coli (E. coli) You often get this one from undercooked beef, especially ground beef, as well as unpasteurized milk.
- Shigella Often spread when someone uses tainted water to clean food, it can be found on seafood and raw, ready-to-eat fruits and vegetables.
- Vibrio You can get infected by consuming raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater.
For more information about:
If you have food poisoning and want to check recently recalled foods, please visit these pages:
Current Multistate Food Poisoning Outbreaks
When two or more people get the same illness from the same contaminated food or drink, the event is called a foodborne or food poisoning outbreak. Reporting illnesses to your local health department helps them identify potential outbreaks of foodborne disease. Public health officials investigate outbreaks to control them, so more people do not get sick in the outbreak, and to learn how to prevent similar outbreaks from happening in the future.
Here is a list of current multistate foodborne illness outbreaks.
Recent Interesting Reports
“FSA announced the recall of Sardines in Tomato Sauce by John West because of suspected bacterial contamination that has resulted in a small number of swollen cans.
FSA advises not to consume these products and to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. The recall is... for two specific batch codes:
- John West Sardines in Tomato Sauce (120g).
Batch code: KX319H. Best before June 2022
Batch code: KX326H. Best before June 2022
You can check the full recall notice on the FSA website food.gov.uk
Source: FSA ”
Calamian Islands Travel & Tours, Coron - Busuanga Road, Coron Town Proper, Coron, Palawan, Philippines
“The three of us, I, my wife and my cousin, went on the super ultimate tour with them and then went to Lolo Nonoys for dinner after the tour. Shortly after that, the 3 of us got sick vomiting and diarrhea the whole day next day. We’re not sure which... one got us sick. All 3 of us got sick. Vomiting and diarrhea just about midnight. ”
“We had dinner Sunday night. My husband had a burrito but I had a bowl with romaine lettuce. I ate all the romaine but didn’t finish cause i was full. I ate around 7:10pm. I woke up at 5am and I felt nauseous. From 9am-11pm I vomited and had some... major stomach cramps. I had to call my husband to leave work because I started having major cramping and couldn’t stand up to stay alert ”
“Mc chicken and nuggets My 3 year old and my self. I'm 21 weeks pregnant. Had at 1:11 pm Symptoms started 2 hours afterward for me and 6 hours later for my daughter. I puked and had diarrhea then We left for a birthday party. My daughter had weakness and... had sweats at around 7pm and then she PUKED on the table. ”
“Old Dutch Ripples Cheddar Chips. Both my husband and I ate a handful of the chips around 9:00 pm. Went to bed and both of us woke up sick at 4:00 am with severe nausea and abdominal pain, and belching the chip taste. About a half hour later my husband... started forcefully vomiting. He had another forceful episode of vomiting about a half hour after the first episode. Went to sleep and around 7:00 am he was still experiencing the same symptoms and had another forceful vomiting episode. I on the other hand strive hard to suppress my vomiting...so at 8:00 am I was still suffering from the nausea, disgusting belching, and gas w/ mild abdominal pain. ”
“Ate a taco and a veggie tostada which were served with lettuce, cream, and cheese around 8pm. Experienced the worst poisoning of my life due to the complete negligence of the staff in serving unrefrigerated and/or old food. Pretty much lived at the toilet the entire night and puked absolutely... everything in the morning. I’m still out of commission and feel I will be for the next few days. Two others who accompanied experienced similar symptoms throughout the night. AVOID this place at all costs, DO NOT risk catching a nightmare at this place because of their lack of sanitation and care. ”
“We ate here, me my boyfriend and his sister, me and my boyfriend had a small personal pizza garlic bread wedges & his sister had Chicken garlic bites I think. We had it around 1ish on Saturday and all of us been throwing up and feeling nausea. My boyfriend had... abit of diareah . Our kids are fine and not I’ll and they did not eat from there. ”
“I had the chicken sandwich,I asked the employee to put sauce only on one side of the sandwich but they gave it to me wrong and had to remake it so I don’t know if I was poisoned purposely or what right after I ate the sandwich my throat was... sore and I felt a cold coming.this was at 2:00pm by 5 or 6:09pm I had nausea and was throwing up my stomach started hurting and I felt weak all over .this was on the 22nd it is now the 25th and I am still experiencing stomach and back pain (feeling weak all over )and I am constantly sneezing with a runny nose .i don’t know if I cought the flu or something from the employee or was only poisoned from food preparation.but that sandwich was the only thing I had so I know it is what caused the throwing up etc.. ”